October 21, 2012

Cold Stratification

New Edition


I have added some more trees to the list this weekend. I was at the in-laws having dinner last night and happened to look at this big beautiful Japanese Maple in full seed mode. I mean this tree had a million seeds hanging from it. I only picked a small handful, I didn't want to have a full blown nursery yet. I also bought some tree seeds from a gardening store down the road from my house. I bought a one pack of each. I got a Pacific Dogwood, Douglas-fir and a Tamarack. I feel that the Zelkova and the Cypress will not grow due to the fact that a rushed the germination process and did not cold stratify them. So just in case you feel rushed to get your seeds in dirt take if from me and follow these steps.

For the maple seeds, I collect them fresh right off of the tree. October is the best month to collect these seeds. You could also wait a little bit longer, and allow the tree to drop its leaves. Or with store bought seeds read the directions if they give them too you. This will tell you how long they will need to be in the fridge.

Second, I have placed the seeds in a container filled with water. I am going to leave it on the counter for 24 hours. What this does, is it breaks down the germination inhibitors covering the seeds. The cover is impervious to water and gases. If you do not do this step you will need to do it mechanically. I.E. cutting, scratching or a digestive tract of various animals.

The last step is the one that takes the longest. I will put the seed in a zip-lock bag with a little pit of organic matter and a 1/4 teaspoon of water. You just want the soil/sand moist. I am going to imitate winter by putting the seeds in the fridge for up to ninety days. Now if I have done everything right, at the ninety day mark the seeds should already be growing in the bag.






No comments:

Post a Comment